Head of IT
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Derby, DE1 2JT
At 3aaa we are currently looking for a Head of IT to be based at our Head office in Derby
You will provide expert knowledge, experience and operational management to the IT Support department, ensuring that the Infrastructure, devices and services used across the company are fit for purpose, secure and maintained to the highest standards.To advise on future technology, system and service solutions to meet the needs of the company and manage projects to renew and improve the infrastructure as part of an overall IT strategy for the company.
At 3aaa we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and vulnerable adults, and we expect all our employees to share this commitment. This post is subject to the satisfactory completion of an enhanced DBS check, Barred List check, the receipt of satisfactory references and any other statutory checks that are required for the post
General Duties and Responsibilities
- To comply with the Company policies and codes of practice in relation to Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity and Quality Assurance.
- To work flexibly in the interests of the Company as required.
- To be responsible for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults you are responsible for, or come into contact with, and outside of this, to exercise vigilance at all times.
- To be aware of the policy, procedures and safe working practices expected of all staff relating to the processing of personal information and Data Protection under the GDPR regulations.
Post Specific role and responsibilities
- To manage the company’s network infrastructure, including virtual hosts, Wifi, firewall and switches.
- To manage the company’s IT hardware and software real-estate.
- To be responsible for physical and virtual network security, carefully managing the risks associated with Data Protection and GDPR regulations.
- To manage the company’s Microsoft-based services, including Active Directory and Office 365.
- To support and control the internal company network infrastructure and access to the Internet to maximum level of availability, service, security and performance.
- To be responsible for the maintenance and support of the company’s local area network and end user devices, including the company computer teaching rooms, through setting up central servers, adding clients and configuring network hardware.
- To manage company-wide communication systems, including internal telephone systems and e-mail, which currently utilises Office 365.
- To back-up file stores and software services to ensure rapid restoration of service in the event of a failure.
- To detect, isolate and correct faults/errors in the network infrastructure, using Cisco Meraki services/devices.
- To maintain up to date inventories of equipment and hardware maintenance agreements for all Company computer equipment.
- To monitor network performance and usage using appropriate software, identify problems and analyse the requirements for enhanced facilities and to provide advice to Company management on solutions pertinent to the Company’s needs.
- To liaise with suppliers and other outside bodies.
- To have specific responsibility for maintenance and upgrading of Company mission critical systems including (but not restricted to) Maytas, Etrack, ProAchieve, MSSQL and Sage.
To ensure regular communication is had between the Head of IT, Head of Data and Compliance and the Head of Analytics and Optimisation, Management Information with regard upgrades and maintenance of Learner Records Systems (including the SQL database that supports it), any changes to database fields etc.
- To manage and maintain the Company’s Sharepoint system.
- To undertake other reasonable duties commensurate with seniority and grade.
- Educated to degree level or professional equivalent
- MCSE certification
- Professional development, skills, experience and knowledge
- Experience of IT operations management including strategies for learning technologies and the use of new technologies to improve cost effectiveness and performance of IT systems.
- Knowledge of the Data Protection Act and GDPR in relation to IT systems and security.
- Experience of managing and leading a team
- Experience of administrating a multi-server networked environment
- Practical working knowledge of LAN / vLAN / WAN / WIFI technologies, and TCP/IP protocols
- Working and administrative knowledge of Active Directory, Office 365 and Sharepoint
- Experience of planning and managing projects to meet customer expectations and deliver cost effective robust solutions.
- Apply an innovative approach to problem solving across a range of hardware, software and systems within the Company
Personal skills and attitudes
- Excellent organisational time management and prioritisation skills
- Team player, Flexibility, Initiative
- Ability to manage and motivate people
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to relate well to staff at all levels
- An understanding of young people and the ability to communicate with them tactfully and with respect
- Ability to plan and implement solutions to complex problems
- Able to work effectively, independently and as part of a team
3aaa Apprenticeships is an Ofsted Grade 1 Outstanding national training provider specialising in the delivery of apprenticeship programmes across the country.
We aim to provide the next generation of high quality IT employees, Digital Marketing executives, Financial Services staff, Managers and Accountants to feed the demand for qualified professionals through the exceptional delivery of Level 3, 4 & 5 training and professional qualifications. We also have a significant number of Levy paying clients from Blue Chip companies and many education and sporting organisations. Our wider offer to clients continues to expand and grow to meet new demands.
3aaa Apprenticeships is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.